I’m finding the guts not to Flinch. And I continue to lose my gut. Or at least I haven’t added to it. You can get this free life-changing book here. As a side note here, the computer/information age has NOT made life easier. It has just given me way more to do.
Performing artists who also create, need all the help they can get. I believe in self help to begin with and hope to attract support. Below is a list of obstacles I attacked as suggested in The Flinch. Besides looking for as many weird or uncomfortable things to do in the general course of my day as possible, I’ve outboxed a number of adversaries. Not in the heavyweight division yet. Not by a long shot. But I’ll fight all these guys again and again and work my way up. Let me at ‘em!
- Music creation and practice has greatly improved. I have learned to slay the do-it-later monster. Do THIS later, monster! Is there an emoticon for flipping the bird? ,,!,, There, that works for me.
- Making the bed with my right hand in my pocket. In fact doing more things left handed. Can’t hurt to be ambidextrous. Haven’t tried throwing left yet but I don’t generally throw things. Not even a fit. I’ve stopped yelling, “You Bastard, you!” every time I drop something or foul something up. Now I smile or laugh, even as a freshly peeled beet bounces across the white kitchen floor.
- Meditating while doing cardio? I thought I’d have to find a machine that I can strap myself in or I’d be meditating in traction from a hospital bed. But I did an hour on a Star Trak® elliptical while listening first to Personal Om app and then just no earbuds and counting while visualizing the numbers floating at me and away from me on my breaths. I can do that! And so it continues. One hour saved! But I’m not giving up on the hour I spend with Holosync. Oh, you will learn about this on coming weeks.
- Getting over my chills. Look, below 70 degrees is cold for somebody living in Florida. Been chilly lately and obsessing over it. Just started ignoring the chill and things are improving bit by bit. I even tried the cold shower challenge. Unpleasant to be sure but I didn’t die.
- Learning two new Spanish words a day. I’m thinking it would make more sense to learn two phrases. You get grammar with that. Got some apps for that. Quires un poco de agua?
- Learning all the songs for my next Starkeeper gig. Some of them are my own which I rarely play. This is coming along well. Arranged for my pals Joe Surowiec and Del Delarmo to play with me on various instruments. Making this a very small payout for me but a fun time in downtown Sarasota in a place devoted to singer songwriters.
- Give up on sleeping aids. Using the Silva Life Method to both gain energy and get to sleep.
- Programming my dreams starting with remembering to wake up and write them down on the iPad. Silva once again. Nothing exciting to report but I bet this space will be home to some interesting episodes in the future.
- Recording a musical idea a day. Deconstruct songs that I like to do this. I own too many gadgets to accomplish this. Watch out eBay! Captured a songwriting session with Jax recently. Editing and posting to come. Right here
- Beginning my video storytelling series. Coming to you in this blog soon!
- Try to gain 15 fans a day. This is taking SO much time but it’ll keep at it. YOU can really help me out with this by clicking the LIKE button here and recommending me to your friends. Come on, will ya! You’ve come this far.
- Work on one new song a week. Beating this goal just now. Got to make completion a goal.
- Abs/pushups/rebounding every day. Yup and ugh.
- Write a song without rhymes. This will take a while. This is tricky. Think I’ll start one about an orange.
The scary thing is that with all I feel I must do, I use 12+ hours a day. Did I mention that I also have a life? I teach guitar, I play gigs. I help with housework I spend quality time with my wife and sometimes my friends. How do I even have friends? Other artists will put up with a lot more from me than say, retired golfers, of which there is no shortage around here. Next blog deals with friending an artist. Yes, spell check, “friending” is a verb now.